If you’re tired of the knobs on your doors, you might be ready to freshen up your home’s décor. It’s easy to get overwhelmed by all the options out there, but there are just a few things you’ll need to keep in mind before replacing your old door knobs.
Here’s a guide to help you choose which style will fit best with your home and lifestyle:
Consider the style of your home
The style of your home is a big factor in choosing the right door knob for it. This can be difficult to figure out since there are many different styles out there. Here are some examples:
- Traditional-style homes tend to have simple and clean lines that show off their age, such as raised panel doors or half-panel doors. These look great with simple door knobs without too much decoration.
- Modern homes tend to have bolder lines and minimalistic designs, like flat panel doors with minimal molding around them. In these instances, you might want to consider using a sleek door handle or latch instead of an ornate handle or latch because it will match the modernity of your home’s design better than something traditional would (and vice versa).
- Contemporary homes usually feature sleekness, but they also often include a lot more detail in their overall design than traditional or modern houses do.
Consider the type of door you are replacing
Before you purchase a new door knob, it is important to consider a few things.
- The type of door you are replacing: If you are replacing an old or broken door knob and the hole is still in place, then installing a new one is easy. If you are installing a new knob on an existing door, however, additional work may be involved in ensuring that your doorknob fits right and looks good with the rest of your home’s decor.
- The size of the door: Since different types of doors come in different sizes, so do their knobs. You can find round knobs for smaller doors as well as square ones for larger ones. However, there isn’t much variety when it comes down to styles or colors other than those two options (unless otherwise specified).
- The location of the door: There are many factors that go into choosing where exactly on your front porch or back patio area needs some attention. These include aspects such as safety concerns like weather conditions during certain seasons.
Choose an appropriate finish for your new knobs
When it comes to the finish of your new knobs, you have many options. You should choose a finish that matches the style of your home and suits the décor of each room in which they will be used.
- Choose an appropriate finish for your new knobs.
- Determine whether you want to replace all of the knobs on doors throughout your home or just one set of them.
Determine if you need to replace the entire knob set or only one side of it
If you only need to replace one side of a door, you can purchase a replacement knob set. However, if the entire door needs replacing or the knob and latch mechanisms differ, you will need to buy a new door altogether.
With so many styles, finishes, and configurations available today, choosing the right door knobs for your home can be overwhelming. We hope this buyer’s guide has helped you narrow your options. Once you have made that decision, remember to always measure twice before purchasing.