You are sure (or you have even seen it with your own eyes) or you just think there is a dead rat or mouse somewhere in the house. Perhaps you have already used toxic bait for rats that slowly kill these rodents.
We have two news for you.
The first piece is bad news. If there is at least one mouse in your place, it means that somewhere there is his nest and more mice are coming. It is too naive to believe that a lonely mouse got lost in your home by accident, because mice and rats are not individual animals – they come in groups and form colonies.
Like most rodents, they are able to flood your home and garden only in a few months. Rats give birth 8-10 times a year and each time a female rat is able to give birth to 8-10 small ones each time. That means you will also need to get rid of all the other rats. Read our article on how to get rid of rats in the house and how to get rid of dead mouse smell in your house.
The good news is that you can get rid of the dead rat smell. It is hard to do, especially if you do not know exactly where the stinking corpse is (in the wall or between the floors) and you cannot smell it. Did you know that the odor given off by the rodent’s body when it swells and breathes the liquid can spread up to 300 meters from the body? This is why it is quite difficult to locate the rotting body. In addition, the smell does not completely disappear until the body is mummified or decomposed in the skeleton. That is why we have to take different complementary measures to make this work
How to get rid of dead mouse smell
Rodents enter homes causing discomfort to its residents, and the process of getting rid of the mice begins with minimal procedures. Traditional mousetraps are placed everywhere, and the pesticides of rodents are sprayed in places where the mouse is believed to be found, it may not be known where the mouse died but the bad smell of the its body begins to become present, and to get rid of this smell, there are several steps that can be followed:
- Searching for the dead body of the mouse as soon as the death is confirmed. First, you should search places where you placed traps or rat poison, and the sooner the disposal of the rat’s body, the less pungent the smell will become.
- Getting a cat or a dog as a pet would help in speeding up the process of identifying the source of the smell.
- Dispose of the body as soon as possible and always making sure to wear medical gloves, and not directly touch the body. Then, dispose of it in a plastic bag and take it out of the house immediately.
- Opening the windows and keeping the house well ventilated for a period of at least three hours until the odor comes out completely from the house.
- Deep cleaning of household items and furniture, washing blankets and bedding with sterilization products.
- Mice live in dirty places and they can transport harmful viruses and bacteria. Therefore, it is best to mix natural sterilization materials such as vinegar and baking soda with a suitable cleaning liquid or soap and place the mixture on the area where the mouse was found dead. Leave the mixture for a period of time before deep cleaning the things on which they are applied.
- Perfume the house with incense and natural perfumes, and it is possible to use the scent of lavender rose, as it has a strong, lovely smell to get rid of the bad smell.
All these steps brings us to the rule that when applied, always yield positive results; protection is better than cure. If you get rid of mice, you will not suffer from dead mouse smell in your house.
Why should we get rid of mice
After we have given you tips on how to get rid of dead mouse smell in your house, we must help you prevent mice future infestation in your property. The presence of a mouse in the home is not a healthy thing. It transmits diseases even if they are field mice; they eat from the same human food and spread the disease on it. They can also cause asthma and some other serious respiratory diseases that may cause death if they are present in the home. Mice reproduce very quickly, so having one mouse at home is sufficient to make a colony of mice in a short time, and the mouse must be disposed of as soon as possible so that the problem does not turn into a real pest that is difficult to deal with
How to get rid of Mice
Methods for getting rid of mice are various and different.
Having a pet cat at home will help prevent mice from staying at home, and it becomes easier to get rid of them, especially if the house is located in a wood area or in an area where mice are abundant. The cat can catch and hunt the mouse easily and get rid of it.
Putting various traps around the house and places where the mouse is likely to enter, and among the known traditional traps are sticky traps and traps in the form of cages that are closed once a rat enters them. If you want to get rid of the mouse alive, there are always poison traps that attracts the mouse to the food on which you have placed the poisonous product. If you use traps, you not find yourself looking for methods on how to get rid of dead mouse smell in your house
Make sure to keep food covered and in tightly closed places, and get rid of food and garbage leftovers as soon as you get the mice away from home as they cannot find what they eat in case they come back.