Writing and defending a bachelor thesis is the first step for graduates who want to devote themselves to science. By defending this work, the applicant shows the ability to conduct research on the chosen topic and form conclusions.
What is a bachelor thesis?
A bachelor thesis is a paper based on the research and analysis of complex scientific problems and the author’s approach to reaching solutions. It is also distinguished by the volume, requirements for the content, and extended bibliography.
Requirements for bachelor theses
Writing a bachelor thesis includes the following steps:
- Choosing a topic. The best solution is getting a recommendation from a supervisor. You can also choose an in-depth study of the issue that you worked on in some of your research papers. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the novelty of the research, even on a topic that has been discussed many times in other works.
- Planning. Before writing a bachelor thesis, it is necessary to draw up a project plan – a detailed list with the sequence of the work. The plan includes: searching for literary sources, choosing effective research methods, conducting research, experimentation, processing data, registering results, and writing a conclusion.
- Compiling a bibliographic list. This is an important stage in writing a paper. In the process of writing, you will have to study the works of reputable scientists, scientific articles, and use fresh information.
- Working on a dissertation, including writing text in accordance with the required structure, conducting experiments, and obtaining approbation. For a successful defense, you need to pay attention to the preparation of visual material: posters, models, slides, etc. This stage takes from six months to one year.
Regarding the requirements for writing a dissertation, it can be rather difficult for those who are unprepared. You should follow the rules for both the content and the text format. You should be conscious of the spacing, numbering, font size, and the correct use of references and footnotes.
Many undergraduates know that the finalization of a finished thesis can take many days, so it is easier to just order it. Applicants entrust the professionals of EssayShark and other reputable writing services to write a thesis because they are familiar with the subject matter, as well as with all the requirements and nuances for the text format.
Bachelor thesis: content requirements
Qualifying scientific work is carried out by the bachelor student independently and should include the following sections and chapters:
- Title page.
- Introduction, indicating the task, novelty, relevance, and object and subject of the research.
- The main part, divided into logically complete chapters and subsections, each of which ends with clearly formulated conclusions.
- Conclusion, with summation.
- Complete bibliographic list, including all used literary sources.
- The thesis may also have a section with appendices: tables, diagrams, figures, and other visual material.
- The volume of the bachelor thesis
- There are no strict, clearly defined requirements on the volume. The question of how many pages a bachelor thesis should have can only be answered by recommendation.
- The generally accepted volume is from 40 to 60 pages. This length will make it possible to present the certification commission with a serious work of research that is not overloaded with unnecessary information.
- Another reference point that can be used by a bachelor student is a bibliographic list. It is considered the norm if the number of pages in
the thesis corresponds to the number of used literary sources.
Stages of writing a bachelor thesis
Having chosen a topic, you can proceed to its implementation in stages:
First, you need to draw up a project plan – outline the approximate number of paragraphs, chapters, and sections, describe the purpose of the study, develop a hypothesis, and select the methods for conducting the study. At this stage, it is necessary to think over a structure that must comply with the requirements.
The next step is to search for literary sources for the bibliography. It must include the works of recognized scientists, books, articles, and publications not older than three years. Undergraduates will advance their own theory from this material, with a view of the scientific problem and the development of ways to solve it.
The text of the thesis begins with an introduction, which takes about 10 pages. It necessarily discloses the relevance and novelty of the topic, the task (goal), and the subject and object of the research (for example, the issue of legal relations). The final version of the introduction should be written after the work is completed since it is often necessary to make adjustments.
The main part of the thesis should be divided into several sections. In the first section, attention is paid to the relevance of the issue.
The conclusions are based on statements made by recognized scientists and the presence of some points that require more in-depth research.
The second part is theoretical. In it, a hypothesis is put forward, comparing the available data with the results obtained from the experiments.
In the conclusion, the author of the thesis announces his or her summation and presents the results of approbation (implementation), if any. The final chapter is important for the defense; it should be scientifically justified, concise, and logical.
Where can I get information for writing a bachelor thesis?
The first question faced by graduates is the choice of topic. It must be new and appropriate for the specialty. The most important condition when choosing a topic is novelty. It is necessary to find an aspect that is not fully studied, is previously undisclosed, and the solution of which will be relevant and in demand. As a starting point, you can use the developments carried out by colleagues and published in the database of scientific works.
Searching for literary sources is quite difficult. They include:
- Legislative acts
- Archival documents
- Science articles
- Published reports
- Articles of the author of the thesis
The search for sources begins in the library of the university. Electronic databases of abstracts and theses, Web libraries, journals, and lists are accepted materials for reference. Textbooks and popular science literature are not authoritative publications to rely on when writing a bachelor thesis.
How to write a bachelor thesis yourself: practical recommendations
To write the thesis, the bachelor student is given half of the year. The author has several main tasks:
- Demonstration of existing theoretical knowledge on a specific subject.
- Preparation of reasoned solutions to a specific problem for the possibility of practical application in the chosen scientific field.
- Where to start writing
- The best procedure for working on a bachelor thesis:
- Choosing the topic.
- Selecting the necessary literary sources.
- Drawing up a plan for the work.
- Writing the body of the thesis.
- Writing the introduction and conclusion of the bachelor thesis.
- Topic selection
When choosing a topic for the work, the author takes into account the possibility of conducting scientific experiments in a particular field of research.
The main categories of topics for writing a bachelor thesis:
- Analysis of the scientific situation in the selected area.
- Consideration of a narrowly focused problem (with forming the hypothesis, conducting the experiments, and analyzing the results obtained).
- Supplementing/expanding existing knowledge.
Writing a thesis can be a rather stressful process, but we hope that this guide will make it more pleasant for you. Some people can be quite successful in thesis writing when they have a guide to follow. We hope that this guide brings you success as well. Good luck!