It’s hard to keep up with the latest landscaping trends. There are so many that it can be exhausting trying to figure out which ones apply best for your home and what you can do to make them work for you. Landscaping is an important investment because it will last a long time, but there are plenty of options when it comes down to how much upkeep you want or need. You may have a small yard and don’t want anything too extravagant, or you might have acres of land that could support any number of different styles. Whatever your situation is, we’re here to help!
In this post we’ll discuss the most popular trends today: low-maintenance yards, sustainable landscapes, vertical gardens and more.
First, let’s talk low-maintenance yards. These are perfect for those who have very little time to spend on their home and yard upkeep but still desire a beautiful space that is easy to care for. There are plenty of options out there when it comes down to what plants you want in your landscape such as drought resistant flowers or plants that can withstand high winds.
This type of landscape is all about simplicity and takes the least amount of time to take care of, which is perfect for busy homeowners!
Another trend we’re seeing more and more often is sustainable landscapes. These typically have a much lower water footprint than conventional lawns because they rely on native plants that don’t need to be watered often.
The last trend we want to mention is natural stone landscapes! Stone surfaces are becoming more popular because they offer a rustic touch that can fit in with almost any style of yard design.
Front Landscaping Ideas
Front yard landscaping is the easiest area of your yard to get creative with. It’s also important because it will be one of the first things people see when they drive up to your house.
Some ideas for a front landscape design are:
- A fire pit where you can relax and enjoy some time outdoors in this beautiful weather!
- Planting tall trees along the property line to create a natural barrier
- Planting flowers or bushes in front of your porch for an attractive look and feel.
Small Backyard Landscaping Ideas
A small backyard doesn’t mean you can’t have a delightful outdoor space. The trick is to make the most of your square footage with an efficient design when landscaping your house.
Some ideas for landscaping a small back yard are:
- Planting shrubs along the property line and throughout the lawn to create privacy and add texture. Make sure to leave space for a bench or outdoor chair to relax and enjoy your garden.
- Planting flowers around the foundation of your home, such as petunias and geraniums near walkways. These are especially attractive in pots that can be moved inside during winter months when it’s too cold to sit outside!
- Install a patio or deck to create a relaxing and entertaining space. If you’re fortunate enough to have an area with shade, consider adding a pergola covered in vines or climbing roses.
- Add lighting for the evening hours by installing outdoor lights on posts throughout your yard. This will make it feel like you’re staying outside all night!
- Planting hedges to help keep your yard private and secure.
- Planting trees around the perimeter of your property for additional privacy, shade or wind protection. Consider evergreens like fir, pine or juniper.”
You may be asking yourself how you can maintain an attractive landscape when it feels more natural just to let things go wild in the backyard. After all, gardening can be a time-consuming and expensive endeavor.
Landscape Lighting Ideas
Landscape Lighting can transform any outdoor area. It can turn a dull backyard into an enchanting garden that is perfect for entertaining guests, relaxing by day or enjoying the sights at nightfall.
Whether you’re looking to create ambiance in your home’s back patio as part of an entertainment space or want to add safety and security around your property without purchasing additional lighting fixtures, a landscape lighting system is the perfect solution.
There are four main types of Landscape Lighting: bollards, ground-level fixtures, floodlights and spotlights. Bollard lights provide light at the perimeter of a property to illuminate paths or walkways that lead visitors in from your home’s front door while protecting them from oncoming traffic. Ground-level fixtures are great for creating the feel of an outdoor living room, they can be used to create intimate lighting around your patio while also providing light that is visible from inside. Floodlights provide bright and powerful illumination at a wide angle – perfect for illuminating larger spaces like backyard patios or gardens. Spotlights serve as more directional sources of light, perfect for highlighting other features in your yard like a gazebo or fountain.
- Bollards provide light at the perimeter of a property to illuminate paths or walkways that lead visitors in from your home’s front door while protecting them from oncoming traffic.
- Ground level fixtures are great for creating the feel of an outdoor living room, they can be used to create intimate lighting around your patio while also providing light that is visible from inside.
- Landscape lights make an excellent addition if you’re looking for a way to improve the mood of any backyard or garden party by adding some extra illumination and ambiance – just don’t forget to turn them off when you’re done!
Landscape Edging Ideas
Landscape edging is used to make the transition from your lawn or garden into other surfaces look attractive. It can also be a great way to contain and control erosion on sloped areas, as well as provide an aesthetic finish line for children’s play areas. Landscaping edgings come in various materials; some of which can be installed quickly and easily by the homeowner.
Different types of landscape edging include:
- Landscape fabric or ground cloth, which is laid over soil to prevent weed growth;
- Rubber mulch (an attractive alternative to plain gravel), which can also help maintain a level surface if you’re dealing with sloping areas;
- Concrete edging, which is an attractive and more formal option that can be installed in place of a fence.
Finding Free Landscaping Rocks
Landscaping trends are changing over time due to the increasing popularity of more natural, organic-looking landscaping. Landscape fabrics have become very popular and are being used in conjunction with other materials such as mulch or gravel for a long-lasting result that looks attractive.
There is no need to spend money on expensive rocks when you can find tons of free rocks, boulders and stones in your backyard or on a farm.
River Rock Landscaping Ideas
River rock landscaping is an excellent idea for people who want to use natural materials. River rock is very versatile and can be installed on its own, or you could add some sand in with it for a more lightweight option that will still last as long as river rocks would.
River rock landscaping ideas may include using different levels of stones to create steps up from the house to the garden, or making a pathway through your yard with rocks.
River rock landscaping ideas are low cost and can be purchased at any hardware store that has an outdoor section.