Exercising in the comfort of your own home is convenient and means you’re more likely to remain consistent with your fitness routine – no more having to go out into the cold to head to the gym or making the excuse of not having enough time! You can create a space in your home to work out easily, even if you don’t have a lot of money to spend. Equipment like skipping ropes, weights, treadmills, and even the best home rowing machine can all be purchased on a budget! So, how do you create your very own budget-friendly workout space? Read on to find out more.
Identify a space
Firstly, you’re going to have to identify a space in which you can work out comfortably from. If you have a spare room that you could use – perfect! If not, there are ways that you can still build a space to work out. For example, if you have an office space or a spare bedroom, you could double this up as an area to work out. If you have a garage or shed, you could use this to build your own space to exercise. If you live in a flat, or you don’t have any additional space you could use, you could simply choose equipment that is easy to store and exercise wherever you can – like your hallway or bedroom. There is a range of equipment you can choose that folds away or has wheels so that you can store them out of sight more easily.
Equipment on a budget
It’s no surprise that workout equipment, like treadmills, bikes, and rowing machines can be expensive. But you don’t have to splash the cash to get a great workout from home. There is a huge range of equipment that you could choose from to help you improve your cardio fitness, strength, and flexibility even on a budget, such as:
- Skipping ropes: Skipping ropes are incredibly affordable, easy to store, and you can use them anywhere you have space. You can get a great cardio workout from skipping to burn calories and get your heart rate up. Just make sure you have appropriate flooring if you live in a flat so that you don’t disturb your downstairs neighbours!
- Treadmill: You don’t have to choose a treadmill with state-of-the-art features and a hefty price tag. There are treadmills that are perfect for walking and running that you can purchase for a fraction of the price. Some even fold to allow you to store your treadmill out of sight to free up space.
- Kettlebells: These weights are diverse, and you can use them for a range of workouts. They are relatively cheap to purchase depending on the type of training you’re doing, and the weight you need. Starter kettlebells are affordable, easy to store, and can help you burn fat.
- Doorframe pull-up bars: A great way to utilise your space and get a great workout, pull-up bars can be added to your doorframe for a strength workout. They are a no-frills accessory that helps you build strength without costing you the earth.
- Mats: Another example of an affordable addition to your home gym is a workout mat. Whilst these are different from treadmills and weights, they are essential when it comes to performing your chosen exercises safely. They improve grip and allow you a comfortable surface to work out on – and they’re extremely affordable.
Use a fitness app
Fitness apps are becoming more popular with many of us, and for good reason – they can provide us with workouts suited to our goals, on a budget. If you’re hoping to create a home gym without spending a huge amount, a fitness app can help. It may be beneficial for you to have the basics when it comes to equipment in your home gym, like mats and dumbbells, but the beauty of these apps is you can get a workout with or without equipment! You can choose an app that focuses on cardio fitness, strength training or yoga. These apps can provide you with plans to work through specifically targeted to your needs. You may have to pay a subscription for these apps, but they tend to be significantly cheaper than you’d find if you paid for a personal trainer at the gym. They can help you get to grips with working out in your own home, and if you don’t have the money to spend on a huge range of equipment, they can help you get a diverse workout. Using an app like this means you don’t have to worry about expensive equipment, all you need is space to move!